Monday, October 3, 2011

Tory Burch Takes Madison by mistake

I love the fact that new stores are opening up along Madison Avenue but its interesting to see one where the opening was dictated by a one night only event. I knew Tory Burch was going to open but I had no idea it was going to be during fashions night out. After the smoke cleared I dropped into the shop to see what all the fuss was (actually no fuss at all) and see the final product.

Well; when one buys a home or an apartment for us city folk there's a thing called a"punch list". In short you list all the changes/mistakes you see that need to be fixed before you move in. I don't think Tory Burch & Co had or got or thought of this list! On the surface it looks shiny and new but upon further inspection it seems the job was rushed for a one night only affair. In the elevator you can see the screw holes where they mounted texture boards, I admit they look fantastic but seeing frayed holes in the corners along with scuffed steel makes one wonder.

Making my way to the third floor was her shoe department which has an ample stock of shoes mostly priced under $500.00. The Reva flats where on display, a shoe four seasons ago which launched this socialite designer into the spotlight. Waiting for the elevator to take me back down I noticed a hole in the wall about the size of a quarter, could this be an injury sustained from opening night or shoddy workmen?

I'll check back in a few months and see if anybody has caught the flaws I saw, but the real question will be will she survive? Of course she will, but my overall sense is that the store is a day late and a dollar short. Being caught with the Reva flat on your feet and the counterfit Burch bags is a daily double with a winning ticket of "I'm out of step with todays fashion". Ask yourself this question have you seen any women on the streets with a Chloe paddington bag or a Fendi B bag? I rest my case.

No comments: